BEAT THE PEAK TOGETHER
United Cooperative Services members can cut usage and save energy dollars by signing up for Beat the Peak, an early-warning system that tells consumers when energy prices peak, and how they can avoid paying peak prices for power.
How it works
Lower demand at peak time lowers the co-op’s overall cost for power. As a nonprofit entity, United then passes the energy savings on to members. The more people participate, the more energy and energy dollars are conserved.
The program is voluntary and benefits all co-op members. Individual members will see neither a charge increase for non-participation, nor a conservation usage credit for those who choose to partake.
Members can participate by signing up online to receive email or text messages that will warn when a peak is about to occur. Also, they can watch United’s Facebook and Twitter accounts for these warnings. *Message and data rates may apply. Please check with your carrier if you are not sure about your text messaging plan.
What to do
When a warning occurs, members are encouraged to raise the thermostat a few degrees in the summer or lower it in the winter. The base thermostat settings United recommends are 78 for summer and 68 for winter, so adjusting during the peak energy time just a few degrees can go a long way to reducing energy costs for the entire membership.
Members should turn off unnecessary lights and delay using major appliances such as clothes driers, ovens, stovetops and dishwashers until the alert time has passed.
Other tips include:
- Use fans to feel four to six degrees cooler.
- Set pool pumps to run early in the morning or overnight. Shut them off from 4-6 p.m.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential appliances.
- Following peak-time thermostat adjustment up to 78, slowly stair-step down to the desired temperature, and use fans to keep cool in the meantime.
- Businesses should minimize use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electicity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
UCSPEAK To register your account. Your mobile number must be on file prior to using this option
UCSPEAK STOP To opt-out of the texting service
HELP To request instructions on how to use the service and a number to contact member services
Sign up for alerts here
Make sure you type your area code in parentheses when submitting your number here. Once done, follow the instructional photos below to activate the text account.
By submitting either or both of these forms, the person responsible for the account indicated agrees to received Beat The Peak notices from United Cooperative Services.